Hey there, Fright Fans! Chris here. Time to provide you with a bit of a status update with regards to our show. No, no, don’t worry. We aren’t going anywhere. We are just evolving once again.
As of this week, we are setting up with our fourth hosting site in just under 3 years. The moves have been prompted for different reasons each time, but this one feels like it will be a permanent one and for the best.
Starting with Episode 117 (our latest), we will be using Libsyn as our hosting site and linking episodes to our new WordPress created web page that you are probably reading this very post on! For those of you subscribing to us through iTunes, a redirect will be in place so that the transition of hosting duties from GeekPlanetOnline.com to our new host should be seamless.
So, the pros and the cons of this change? Let me line it out for everyone.
- We will have full control of all of our content within the boundaries of WordPress and Libsyn’s ToS and UAs.
- We will now have an outlet other than our Facebook page to share blog posts, give reviews of films and shows, and whatever else floats our boats.
- We now have the ability to get our show out to numerous platforms thanks to Libsyn. Look for us (potentially) in the future on Android apps and other locations as we sort it out.
- We will be paying a few dollars more each month for these services but feel it is worth it.
- The back catalog of episodes will have to be slowly rebuilt due to our current data usage plan on Libsyn. For those that want the numbers, we get 600MB of storage per 30 days. Any files over 30 days old will be archived after that. On average, a 2 hour episode of our show is 115MB. So 4 episodes a month = 460MB. That allows for 1 or 2 other episode to be posted for archiving each month on a rotating basis as older files get archived. There may be a way around this or speed it up, but we are learning as we go here.
That sums it up in a nutshell. The thing that we truly are loving out of this is that we now have our own domain name! Be sure to share with all your friends: podcastmacabre.com.
In closing as we have our new beginning, thank you to all of you listeners and followers for taking the journey with us. And thanks also to Brian Maxwell and Matt Dillon for hosting us in the past on Bad Boardie and GeekPlanetOnline respectively. You both have been great assets to us as we continue to improve and expand what started out as a group of friends just chatting about the genre they love. Catch ya next time, Fright Fans!
UPDATE (11/22/2017): It’s going to take some time to fully rebuild our back catalog over on Libsyn. In the meantime, look for the our blog series “Voices From The Vault.” Each volume of this series will contain several of our previous episodes, and they will available for streaming here on the page and/or for direct download for future listening. Once an episode has been added to the Libsyn archive, will be removed from here to save us space.Thanks again for your patience and patronage!